Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Focus on health, not on weight. But first let me lose 10 pounds

Focus on health, not on weight- unknown
Great advice, I couldn't agree more, but first let me lose 10 pounds!  There are two problems with that mantra, 1. It is a long term goal and 2.  How do you know where to start? In this post I will share my personal struggle with number two.  I’d like to state I am not a health professional, if you have a serious medical issue, speak with your healthcare provider.
Focus on health, not on weight
But what if you can’t see your knees for your stomach?
Okay, you've decided to get healthy; you've scoured the internet for information, now what?  How do you decide what is right for you based on your goals?  Goals? Huh? Yes, goals!  If you’re like me, you’re all over the place willing to try many different things to lose weight.  I started with calorie restrictive diets, clean eating, smaller portions, skipping meals, grapefruit diets, the lemonade diet, ugh! FAIL FAIL FAIL.
I moved on from a diet plan to exercise.  It had been at least a year from the last time I’d done any exercise so I started with walking.  Fairly easy, until I encountered my first hill, literally!  I struggled on even the smallest incline.  It was embarrassing, yet eye-opening.  After a few days of walking I added jump rope intervals.  Then I added jumping jacks.  A few weeks later, I joined my community recreation center for some cardio.  I signed up for spinning/cycle class.  And I nearly passed out on my bike.  I was not ready, mentally or physically.  I went back to a second class just to confirm though.  I just couldn't do it.  Though I was done with the class, the soreness lasted a few more days.
I licked my wounds, I returned to my previous regimen of walking, jump ropes, jumping jacks.  I didn't know it at the time, but I’d set a goal.  You’ll benefit a great deal by setting goals.  A small goal of doing some physical exercise was more effective than quitting spinning after two tries.
I learned to humble myself and start my journey at chapter one.  What lessons have you learned on your fitness or healthy lifestyle journey? Maybe you can inspire someone who is at a crossroads!

No comments:

Post a Comment